Answer the following questions from the articles on Digital Art, Electronic Art, and Conceptual Art and other sources that you may need in order to best answer the questions:
1. Explain three kinds of digital art, noting any work that you find particularly interesting.
What process did Andy Warhol use in order to realize one of the early noted works of digital art?
3. What is algorithmic art? How is it created? Provide one example of algorithmic art that you find interesting.
4. What kind of technologies encompass electronic art?
5. What is conceptual art?
6. Who is considered to be the grandfather of conceptual art? Write a couple of sentences about their approach and how it signalled a shift in the direction of contemporary art making.
7. Provide one example of conceptual art (different from question #6). Note the artist, the work, and what aspect of it is considered to be art.
Expressive (Nonrealistic) Photo Art
Using the techniques from this weeks videos on masking create a composite graphic that includes one masked element of an animal (with fur, feathers...) or a human, and at least one other 'masked' visual element using a masking/selection technique of your choice. You must also use a background image and a seperate texture within the composition. Your graphic will be comprised of:
1) one masked element of an animal or human.
2) at least one additional masked visual element.
3) background - an environment that will help develop a mood.
4) texture technique that you work in to your graphic. Here are some Photoshop texture tutorials - or look for one that will work with your idea.
You may repeat any of the visual elements or use additional elements. Work on using color and texture within your composition to build a distinctive mood, and consider the below quote from Scott Ligon in order to guide your image making process.
A Few Words About Expressive (Nonrealistic) Photo Art
Excerp from "Digital Art Revolution, Creating Fine Art with Photoshop" by Scott Ligon:
"Visual artists have a long history of distorting, or changing, an image's elements for expressive effect and compositional clarity. Even the most realistically representational artists are likely to modify what they see in front of them, both for compositional purposes and to emphasize qualities they wish to convey in the work. Many visual artists distort elements in more extreme ways. They abandon the illusion of external reality in favor of creating something that reflects a more personal, subjective inner reality. Individual elements can be distorted, stretched, and manipulated. Colors can be exaggerated, changed, or de-emphasized in a way that is appropriate to the ideas in the work.
Elements can be made more sharp and angular, or be manipulated into soft curving shapes. When experienced artists create such a work, they use compositional themes in the treatment of elements. Establishing consistency in the way similar elements are treated within a composition makes us feel like these elements belong there. Using the vast array of tools available in Photoshop, photographic materials can be altered to appear as if they are no longer merely representations of reality but rather elements of personal expression that are distinctive and consistent in treatment and evocative of a certain emotion or quality that is discernable to the viewer. Elements should be modified in a way that supports the overall mood, quality, or emotional timbre of the piece, with consistent visual themes among the elements."
1) Use your own source graphics or provide credit (url) for the photos if they are not your own. Include the url if you do not use your own photos, and if you use your own photos provide small thumbnails of the photo sources or make a contact sheet.
VIDEO on How To Make a Contact Sheet
2) In the email when you send your homework write a few sentences about your findings
noting any surprises, experimentations, successes, or difficulties.
Using the technique of the Layer Mask 4 video tutorial fill a street sign (or a sign of your choice) with new content. Use graphics of your choice to demonstrate this tutorial. This link from a google search may help too.
Please email your homework to:
In the subject field of the email put your last name and first initial with the number of the homework.
Please use this format for each assignment that you email me throughout the semester.